Getting ready for finals week
We're one and a half weeks away from finals week, so we wanted to offer some tips for both faculty and students who may be doing finals online in iLearn.
- It is generally recommended to allow about one minute per multiple choice question if your exam is timed. This allows a small amount of buffer time to account for any slowness on your student's Internet connections or any other technical difficulties they may encounter.
- If your exam is paginated, every time a student changes pages, their responses will be saved. However, it is recommended that your pages not be smaller than 10 questions per page as the more pages you have, the slower the quiz will process when you have multiple students trying to take it at once.
- If you have students that require extra time for the quiz, the new iLearn has a feature that allows you to override the due date, start date, and time limit on a student by student basis. You can do this by clicking on the quiz and then on the "User Override" link in the settings block for the quiz.
- Our office hours are 8:00AM to 5:00PM, Monday through Friday. If you anticipate that your students will require technical support, we HIGHLY recommend not having your quiz end over the weekend, as we will not be able to get back to them until the following Monday.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to drop by our office in LIB 220, call us at (415)405-5555, email us at email@example.com, or schedule an appointment with one of our instructional designers by going to http://at.sfsu.edu/appointments.
- Make sure you read the whole description on the quiz page as it will let you know when the quiz starts, when the quiz ends, and whether or not there is a time limit.
- It is generally recommended that while you are taking an online quiz or exam you do not have any other tabs or windows open to minimize potential interference or crashing.
- Give yourself enough time to submit the quiz. Depending on your Internet connection and how busy iLearn is at the time, it could take a minute or two to fully submit your exam once you've clicked on the submit button.
- Don't wait until the last minute! The longer you wait before the due date, the more risk of high traffic or not being able to recover from a technical difficulty you are taking on.
- Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00AM to 5:00PM. We are available during those times via phone at (415)405-5555, email to firstname.lastname@example.org, chat inside of iLearn in the iLearn help block, or in person at our office in LIB 220. We can answer technical questions but questions about grades should go to the instructor of the course.