- What is iLearn?
- How do I log in to iLearn?
- When will I be able to see my iLearn classes?
- What do I need to be able to use iLearn?
- Can I use my mobile device with iLearn?
- Where can I go for help?
- Why is my iLearn class listed in gray?
- Why can't I see the class that I just registered for in iLearn?
- Why is the instructor unable to send me email via iLearn?
- Where can I find a computer lab on campus?
- How do I make my class available to students?
- How do I move my class content from last semester into this semester?
- How can I combine or merge multiple class sections into one iLearn class?
- Can I request a class to be created in iLearn? Can I use this iLearn class for my research, department, or lab sections?
- Can I request a higher disk space allotment for my iLearn class?
- How do I set up a one-on-one appointment with an iLearn staff member?
What is iLearn?
iLearn is San Francisco State University's official learning management system, or Moodle-based LMS, that is designed to help faculty deliver class materials online to students.
How do I log in to iLearn?
You can log in to iLearn by opening up a web browser and navigating to http://ilearn.sfsu.edu, clicking on the Click to log in button, and entering your nine digit SF State ID and password.
When will I be able to see my iLearn classes?
Classes become available approximately four weeks before the beginning of the semester; however, exact times and dates are subject to change. For example, classes for the Spring 2010 semester will become available approximately the week of December 27, 2009. Summer classes become available in the system approximately the last week of July or the first week of August, depending on the iLearn upgrade schedule.
What do I need to be able to use iLearn?
In order to use iLearn, you will need a computer with a broadband Internet connection and a modern browser. Additional details can be found on our technical requirements and recommendations page.
Can I use my mobile device with iLearn?
We've heard about users being able to successfully perform some tasks on iLearn with mobile devices, but as we do not test them ourselves, we make no guarantees. For reading content you should be fine, but once you start getting into interactive features such as quizzes, you may run in to problems.
Larger mobile devices such as the iPad or Xoom may have a better iLearn experience than mobile phones will.
Where can I go for help?
You can get help with iLearn by sending us an email using our contact form, calling us at (415)405-5555, using the built in chat in many iLearn courses, or by dropping by our office in LIB 220.
Our office hours are from 9:00AM to 5:00PM, Monday through Friday except during campus closures and holidays.
Why is my iLearn class listed in gray?
Classes listed in gray in your My iLearn courses block have not been made available to students by the instructor. You will need to contact your instructor regarding when the class will be made available.
Why can't I see the class that I just registered for?
Registration takes up to 24 hours to process. If you registered for a class today, you will not be able to see it in iLearn until tomorrow morning at 4:00AM.
Why is my instructor unable to send me email via iLearn?
There are two possible reasons why your instructor may not be able to send you email through iLearn. First you can check to see if your email is enabled in iLearn:
- Log in to iLearn
- Click on your name at the top or bottom of any iLearn page
- Click on the Edit profile tab
- Make sure the Email activated pull-down menu says This email address is enabled
- Click on the Update profile button to save your changes, if any
Second, all ilearn messages are sent to your official SF State email address or the email address to which your official email is forwarded. Make sure you are checking your official SF State email or forwarding it to the email account you check most often. Your official SF State email address will either be @mail.sfsu.edu or the one you used during your registration for the College of Extended Learning.
Where can I find a computer lab on campus?
The Division of Information Technology maintains a list of computer labs on campus at http://www.sfsu.edu/~doit/labs.htm.
How can I make my class available to students?
By default, every class in iLearn is unavailable to students. To make your class available:
- Click on the Settings link in the Administration block
- From the Availability pull-down menu, select this course is available to students
- Click on the Save changes button
How do I move my class content from last semester into this semester?
You can use the course import function found in the Administration block to import class material from a previous semester into this semester. Review the "How to import a course" quickguide for more information on how to copy your class materials into your new semester iLearn class.
How can I combine or merge multiple class sections into one iLearn class?
The Division of Information Technology provides a tool for combining courses at http://www.sfsu.edu/online/bbcombo.html. You may find more information about combining courses by reviewing the "How to combine and hide course sections" quickguide.
Can I request a class to be created in iLearn? Can I use this iLearn class for my research, department, or lab sections?
Faculty and staff can send requests for iLearn class shells or sites via email to email@example.com with the following information:
- Name of course requested
- Name and contact information of who will administrate the course
- A brief description of the purpose of the course
- Approximately how long the site will need to stay active for
Can I request a higher disk space allotment for my iLearn class?
Every iLearn course starts out with 500MB of disk space. You can check how much space you have used by clicking on Files in the Administration block of your course, and scrolling to the bottom of the page. Faculty may request a disk quota increase by using the contact form. Be sure to include the exact course number, department and section, or we will be unable to grant your request.
How do I set up a one-on-one appointment with an iLearn staff member?
You may request one-on-one appointments with someone from the AT HelpDesk or have a session with one of our instructional designers by using our appointment request form.